Message Number: YG1788 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Stephanie Norrick
Date: 2001-03-27 16:44:00 UTC
Subject: Adrenal & should we do another surgery?

Hi everyone! My ferret Fergie will be 5 in June. In October of
1999, she had adrenal surgery to remove her left adrenal gland.
Diagonis was made based upon signs (hair loss and swollen vulva) and
after some different injections to see if it might be something
else. She came through surgery wonderfully (my vet even let me see
the gland after he removed it)!

Now the problem. Fergie is showing signs again. Her hair loss is
more substantial this time and the swollen vulva is not as extreme.
I really don't want her to go through surgery again (it's not the
money). She is so tiny. Both times her weight is and was
consistent, her activity level is extremely high and she eats and
drinks plenty.

My vet is willing to perform surgery again and explained all the
risks involved (he is the only vet in the area who will perform right
adrenal gland removal). I have no doubt in is ability. He knows
my concerns with surgery. He suggested since I wasn't that crazy
about surgery to wait and see how Fergie's quality of life is. If I
see her going downhill, then we will need to do something. Is
surgery worth it again? Can we try something else? What ohter signs
should I be looking for to see if Fergie isn't doing well? My vet
encouraged me to look on the internet to see what else we could do
besides surgery and to get back with him. Any ideas or comments
would be greatly appreciated.

-Stephanie :)

Be sure to visit me on the web!