Message Number: YG2216 | New FHL Archives Search
Date: 2001-04-05 14:35:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Disinfecting

--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., "Long, Katharine" <shurcool@t...>
> Several have responded to the disinfecting question. I recently
posted that
> I use a 1:10 (bleach:water) spray solution for disinfecting my
> cages, etc. I also use this same solution on the ferrets' cages,
> boxes, etc. You should clean and rinse thoroughly first, then
spray with
> the bleach solution, then dry in the sun. The sun will cause the
> to evaporate and no rinsing is required. Someone on this list
advised to
> rinse, though my understanding it that all the toxic/harmful stuff
> evaporate if the item is dried in the sun (this is why chlorine has
> constantly be added to swimming evaporates). I DO
rinse because

ADV is killed by bleach. I would make response that one should not
use Ultra Bleach with ferrets as it leaves a residue of lye in it on
the surface that can be harmful to the ferrets skin. Also a chemist
friend of mine has stated that all store brand bleaches and Clorax
can stand side by side as far as what they are made of including
strength. So, you can by the store brand and not worry.
> I'm paranoid <g> and then again air dry in the sun. For food
dishes and
> water bottles, you can rinse in the same strength solution. I
usually just
> wash them well, barring any active diseases going on.
> One of the vets on this List (sorry, can't remember who) responded
that a
> 1:32 solution is adequate. I will stick to the 1:10 as that's what
I was
> taught with my wildlife rehab training (and it certainly can't
> The other thing I mentioned was to make sure you are getting a
bleach with
> disinfecting properties. Many do NOT say "Disinfects" on the
label. This
> may only be the result of them not doing all the required testing
to make
> this claim. Many discount bleaches have a lower percentage of the
> ingredient (hydrochloride? I'm not at home to look at my bleach
> For these reasons, I ONLY buy original Clorox. I do not buy
discount brands
> and I do not buy the Clorox fancy stuff. It doesn't matter to most
> since most people buy bleaches to whiten, not disinfect. Just make
sure you
> are buying what you think you are. It's not worth saving a few
> There are some parasites, worms, etc. that will not be destroyed by
> but that is not something we would concern ourselves with our
> Well, perhaps ADV??? I did use the same 1:10 bleach when we were
> with ECE.
> Katharine