Message Number: YG2295 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Brett Middleton
Date: 2001-04-06 12:58:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Disinfecting

ChaoticFer8s@a... wrote:
> When I have very young kits, I make all visitors thoroughly wash
> their hands with an antibacterial soap. I gave up on the notion of
> boiling visitor's hands for five minutes - they wouldn't let me.

Have you considered using one of those hand-sanitizer solutions that
doesn't require rinsing? You just apply it and let it evaporate. Some
pet stores keep this around for the customers to use before (and
hopefully after) handling any animals. I keep a bottle around to use
before getting meds ready, and in case I ever visit a pet store that
*doesn't* make you wash your hands.

Speaking of bleach, here's an interesting quote from an online vet
supply catalog:

> Overlooking a good disinfectant is a common problem we see. Many
> people say "I use bleach to disinfect." YOU NEED MORE!!! Chlorine
> gas released from bleach can cause URI symptoms in young animals.
> Choose to do the smart thing - USE A DISINFECTANT!!!

Of course, they DO have a vested interest in selling product. B-)


*SLMW 1.0* Is there such a thing as a YOUNG curmudgeon?