Date: 2001-04-08 07:28:00 UTC
Subject: Re: [Ferret-Health-list] Disinfectants
Hi Rosalie - Isopropyl alcohol is toxic - of course, bleach is too - but the
fumes from alcohol can cause brain damage especially if inhaled over a period
of time for both your child and ferret. A 50-50 mixture of 91% alcohol can
be used if the cage and litter boxes, etc., are removed from the room. Same
with bleach. These and other disinfectants are best used away from pets and
children and in a well ventilated area. Regards, Meg (who is still feeling
the effects from inadvertently burning her nose with too strong a mix of
In a message dated 4/7/01 12:37:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
<< Hi-I'm reluctant to use bleach in my ferret's cage b/c they share the room
w/ my 4 yr old who is very sensitive. Their room is large,However,I'd be
concerned as to whether it would irritate my little one's lungs. I was
recommended by my ferret club to use a 50/50 mix of 91% alcohol and water.
I've used this for quite a few months now, but, since I 've seen a few posts
regarding disinfecting methods, I wonder about the efficacy of my method.
Can any seasoned ferret people give me any feedback?
-Rosalie & the Critters >>