Message Number: YG2559 | New FHL Archives Search
Date: 2001-04-15 01:10:00 UTC
Subject: Re: HUGE lumps: anything but lymphoma?

--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., "Bruce Williams, DVM" <williams@e...>
> --- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., moreferrets@h... wrote:
> > howdy vets: new critter in today. HUGE golf ball sized lump
> > the left arm - owner says it's been there two months. there's
> a
> > huge lump that is both on the side of the neck and around to the
> > underside of the throat. owner had him in to a local vet i'm not
> at
> > all confident in who took an xray and bloodwork: she proclaimed
> > was DEFINATELY NOT lymphoma and put him on .75 BID "SMZ TMP"
> > (1/2 oz), which is a light pink liquid that "is not to be
> > refridgerated" and appears milky with a thin, more water layer
> > seperates to the top before shaking. what is this stuff?
> > could this be anything BUT lymphoma? in each large lump there
> > two smaller, lymph node kidney-bean feeling lumps. and did i
> mention
> > critter can hardly breathe? he's beyond wheezing and panting and
> > onto labored breathing. he appears/sounds just like another
> i
> > met at another shelter who DEFINATELY had lymphoma (same exact
> rattle
> > in the breathing). he's motoring around (he's 3 at most) but i
> think
> > part of it is discomfort. he hasn't slept well this afternoon
> since
> > he spends so much time adjusting. no quality vet care available
> > until monday morning in this town; meanwhile, i've started pedia-
> > pred. as for this pink stuff...i don't trust this vet that he
> > one bit, so i'm almost hesitant to continue giving it to him.
> after
> > all, she told the owner she could not feel any lumps on this
> ferret.
> > can see them when he's across the room!!
> > fortunately this will be my first confirmed experience with
> lymphoma
> > if in fact that's what his trouble is...any advice to help him be
> > more comfortable for another 40 hours or so? thx!
> Dear Moreferrets:
> This case certainly does sound like a case of lymphoma. If the
> are as large as you say, I would have recommended an aspirate of
> of the nodes as well.
> You don't mention the results of the bloodwork, as well as the X-
> Pediapred may help a bit with the nodes, however, if it lymphoma,
> they may also affect the ability to make a diagnosis when the nodes
> are aspirated. But you have to think about the animal's survival
> first.
> With kindest regards,
> Bruce Williams, DVM

that's because the owner didn't bring the bloodwork or xray, so i
doubt i'll get them. i would tell you that i would have my vet do an
aspirate on monday...but frankly, i just couldn't hold off on the
pred...he's just this side of miserable. he has to open his mouth to
suck in a breath. he's still motoring around so i'm going to wait
and see if he might have some mysterious reduction in whatever lump
is causing the breathing troubles...this critter has been passed
around from one ignorant person to the other it seems, so i'd sure
like him to have a few happy days. this is very frustrating!! he's
taking water and very thin mushie and he's going in first thing
monday am!! thx