Message Number: YG2919 | New FHL Archives Search
Date: 2001-04-25 01:34:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Rascal

I guess that I am just not convinced that stepping back and trying to
gain a better perspective is making things worse. He has not gotten
any better or worse in a few weeks. I have spent over $800 on Rascal
in the past 5 weeks and, although I realize you can't put a price on
life, I do have 2 other ferrets that need adrenal surgery and I have
to think of them too. I took him off the prednisone because my vet
(who does make mistakes, but I still believe is very competent) said
that he thought it would be OK to take him off and see if he showed
any signs of the low glucose again, which I don't think he has. He
has not had any seizures, is not lethargic, is eating well, and has
actually gained weight. He looks great. I have not heard anything
about prednisone being used to treat neurological disorders, but I am
learning something new every day. I have not taken him to another
vet yet because after seeing him undergo two surgeries in one week
(the second to make sure there was not a problem with the first) and
seeing him poked and prodded until most of his little body was shaven
and bruised, I just wanted to give him a break from all of that and
see if the problem could be more easily identified after he spent
some time at home. If I felt like the situation was urgent or that
he was declining, I would have taken him to another vet immediately.
I have been told by others who have taken care of very ill pets that
time and TLC is the best thing for him right now. I just wanted to
see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome
was. I would like to get more information before I make any further

--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., katharine <shurcool@i...> wrote:
> I have spoken to Joy several times about Rascal
> and have recommended that she have him examined by
> my vets (in the same city) who are much, much more
> ferret knowledgeable than the vet she is seeing (I
> know the other vet), or that she take him to see
> Dr. Kemmerer in Gainesville (only 150 miles). At
> the very least, I suggested her vet consult with
> Dr. Kemmerer but I don't believe that has been
> done. It doesn't sound like Rascal has improved
> in the last couple of weeks since I've talked to
> her. In my opinion, waiting can only makes things
> worse.
> Katharine