Message Number: YG297 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Lynda Galloway
Date: 2001-02-27 00:36:00 UTC
Subject: [Ferret-Health-list] For Dr. Bruce
Williams........please read and advise!

Oh Rhea, I am so sad for you. Sometimes no matter how good of
a Mom you are an Accident happens. I read the FML this
morning and could hear the panic in your writing.
You know our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours and
she will be waiting at Rainbow Bridge.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 12:05 AM
Williams........please read and advise!

Dr. Williams,
My name is Rhea Fulmer, and I have spoken with you a couple
of years
ago by phone and via email regarding Squirt, my ferret who
is no
longer with us. I have a question now regarding Cocoa, a
sable we
lost tonight. Our door downstairs leading to the outside
apparently left wide open by our 5 yr. old neighor, and
Cocoa got
out. We searched for hours inside and out, finally finding
her in
the dryer vent, which she had gotten in from outside the
Because it goes DOWN to the basement, she was trapped. We
found her,
but not until we had dried one load of clothes. When we got
her out
she began vomiting and had a few episodes of diarrhea that
pink, as if it had some blood in it. She was alert
otherwise, and
had no other previous health problems. We took her to an
animal clinic that had told us that they treat ferrets.
When we got
there, the vet said he thought she had a little bit of heat
but that he was more concerned about her lungs and how they
react tomorrow after having breathed the lint, and that she
was just
a little dehydrated. He said that her lungs sounded clear
at the
time, but that he wanted to start an IV, give her
dexamethasone, and
a broad-spectrum antibiotic prophylactically, and keep her
night. I told him we wanted to stay until after he had the
IV going
so we could console her before we left. We were in the
lobby only a
short time before his assistant came to tell us that she had
and that he was trying to resuscitate her. She didn't make
it. What
happened? We asked if he had put a mask on her to settle
her while
he was starting the IV and he said he didn't because she
fighting him. She was alert when he took her back to the
room. Was she just so stressed from the whole ordeal of the
day that
she couldn't take it? We're so upset! Now we wonder if we
have even taken her to begin with! Can you PLEASE shed some
light on
what you think may have happened to her? We highly respect
opinion, and appreciate any information you may give.


Rhea Fulmer

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

The advice and opinions expressed in this forum are by no
means a substitute for prompt, hands-on care, from a
licensed, practicing veterinarian.

Members may attach files to their posts. If you choose to
download these files you may be putting yourself at risk for
a computer virus. We will not be responsible for files sent
by members through the list. Please update your antivirus
software or view photographs at the website without
downloading attachments if you are concerned about a virus.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of