From: Sukie Crandall
Date: 2001-04-30 14:59:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Coccidia in kits
> I have had my babies for 4 weeks. I bought them from a nationwide
>pet store. Thursday evening, Sable, my hyper and happy fuzzbutt was
>lying totally limp & unresponsive. She had shown no signs of illness
>I took her to the emergency pet clinic and they revived her and
>stabilized her. I, of course made the decision to save her if there
>was hope. $340 later, my baby had a catheter in her jugular vein and
>she looked miserable. I fought with myself about the decision I had
>I took her immediately to her vet and found out that she had
>Coccidia. The Dr. has ferts of her own and loves these tiny
>creatures. I left my baby there and took my other in later to get
>her examined and get antibiotics for her. ( She is doing fine)
>Friday evening I received a call that Sable had crossed over.
>I never expected to be so attatched in such a short period of time.
>But, it has taken me this long to even be able to write about it.
>My hubby was PO'd!!! He called the store that we bought her from and
>the asst. manager informed us that they haven't sterilized their
>cage in 1 1\2 - 2 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!
>We contacted the vet, (she treats their ferts too), and the local
>ferret shelter. We are still waiting to see what the corporate
>offices have to say about this.
>The vet informed us that she has had alot of kits die from this
>chain because of this.
>Where do people draw the line between moral obligation and the
>bottom line $$$$$.?
>Streaker, my healthy one, is missing her cage mate. She is adjusting
>pretty well. I just wish I could say that for the rest of the family.
>Anyway, What signs do I need to look for in Streaker? I have
>sterilized EVERYTHING. She is on anti-biotics. How common is this in
>Thank you for listening. Bye, Bye Sable. Mommy, Daddy, and Streaker
>will miss you. You are a permanent part of our lives. We WILL make
>something good come of this!!!!!!!
>Thank ya'll again.
>Maryi & Streaker
Maryi, if you are in New Jersey you can contact FG&W with the vet's
report. They have to be able to confirm the cause of death with the
vet. You also can contact the breeder. Sadly, there are four weeks
between so you may have a hard time proving the source, but in some
states a check of the waste of mammals in the store will be done to
see if disease is present.
Years ago we have seen Marshall Farms refuse to sell to a given store
when a refusal to treat was found, and have also seen the NJ FG&W
prevent that store form selling any mammals for 6 months when disease
turned up to be in many mammals, forcing them to treat and then
safely place the remaining stock.
See who follows up on such things in your state and what your options
are. The offices of your state legislators will be able to guide
you. If you do not know these people then your local town hall can
direct you to them.