Message Number: YG3258 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Karen Purcell, DVM
Date: 2001-05-05 06:54:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Urgent Breeding Question


You wrote:
> I have an urgent question for any breeders and or vets out there.
> I have a jill who was breed starting March 20 to ::we think:: the 26th or
> 27th. Unfortunately, the last date of mating was not recorded, something I
> usually do.
> The jill was in full season when they started, and they were mating from day
> 1.
> That made her due date May 1. Came and went, no kits. Since last Wed she has
> had some very minor spotting of old blood. She had an ultrasound last night
> and their is at least one kit, who seemed to be moving.
> Here's my quandry...always before my jills have delivered exactly 6 weeks
> from their first date of mating. I don't know if I should give her oxytocin
> today, or wait until Monday.
> My only real concern is with her health. I don't want to lose the kit{s} if
> I can help it, but that's NOT that important to me...
> She has had a litter before, and falsed once before. Was taken out other
> heats. She's 3.
> Any thoughts appreciated....and yes I know an emergency c=section may be in
> the works.

Most late pregnancies need C-sections - oxytocin will not help in
many cases. I'd certainly get this girl to a vet ASAP.

-Dr. Karen
This e-mail is provided for general informational purposes only. It is in
no way intended as a replacement for a consultation with a qualified
licensed veterinarian. If you are concerned about your pet's health, you
should seek the advice of your regular veterinarian as soon as possible.