Message Number: YG3263 | New FHL Archives Search
From: FurTulsa
Date: 2001-05-05 11:08:00 UTC
Subject: [Ferret-Health-list] Urgent Breeding Question

Tansy... Even giving the room for a couple extra days with
the hob... she is past due AND with the appearance of blood
spotting... I would recommend against administering Oxytocin
at all and have seen by a vet ASAP.
There could be a kit breech or stuck in the birth canal
causing the spotting and giving Oxytocin would only result in
a disaster.
She needs to be examined by a vet immediately.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 3:14 PM
I have an urgent question for any breeders and or vets out
there. I have a jill who was breed starting March 20 to ::we
think:: the 26th or 27th. Unfortunately, the last date of
mating was not recorded, something I usually do.
The jill was in full season when they started, and they were
mating from day 1 That made her due date May 1. Came and
went, no kits. Since last Wed she has had some very minor
spotting of old blood. She had an ultrasound last night and
their is at least one kit, who seemed to be moving.
Here's my quandry...always before my jills have delivered
exactly 6 weeks from their first date of mating. I don't
know if I should give her oxytocin today, or wait until
My only real concern is with her health. I don't want to
lose the kit{s} if I can help it, but that's NOT that
important to me... She has had a litter before, and falsed
once before. Was taken out other heats. She's 3. Any
thoughts appreciated....and yes I know an emergency
c=section may be in the works.