Message Number: YG4349 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Sukie Crandall
Date: 2001-06-06 15:32:00 UTC
Subject: Re: HELP, Ferret AND Clorox

>would think your ferret was smarter then to drink it, they have an EXCELLENT
>scense of smell and he would have noticed something was wrong.

We have a ferret who was once temporarily damaged by bleach with
projectile vomiting of blood. For her the scent is like liver to a
pup -- a real salivator. She will actively try to seek out drops
that may have spilled -- a strong attractant for her like poisonous
antifreeze could be to some critters. Reaching that bit was the ONLY
time she ever climbed up to a sink. I had even wiped down the sink
afterward so figure there must have been a drop of two under the
faucet perhaps. Her range has had to be restricted and extra care
must be taken for an extended period after such things have been used
(which we must do due to allergies since the safer alternatives for
molds don't work well at all), though we are careful with bleach and
other cleaning compounds, anyway, and avoid using a number of
cleaning compounds.

Bleaches are corrosive and can kill.