Date: 2001-07-16 20:44:00 UTC
Subject: re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - DYING FERRET
I wonder if the "mass" is an enlarged spleen, which is common in ferrets, and
not necessarily symptomatic. I would want blood tests and maybe exploratory
surgery. If this is not a ferret experienced vet, I would try to find one.
If you post your city, someone here can direct you to a good ferret vet.
- severe lethargy
- diarrhea (dark, not runny, no red blood, ~3-4 times daily)
- uriniation good and clear - frequently
- loss of appitiate but still loves his ferretvite
- weakness (hind legs)
- very thirsty (probably due to diarrhea)
- light sneezing (more than usual but not enough to consider flu)
- NO eye or nasal discharge (glossy eyes)
- NO vomiting
- 2 small (pinhead size) red marks; one on roof of mouth and on side
of mouth on gum.
The doctor I seen today took an X-ray (no blood tests) and says he
sees a large mass in the abdoman. I looked at it and seen somthing
faint, large and located under the stomach and infront of the
intestines. He says it probably spread to the lymph since they
looked large (lymph nodes behind the stomach). He gave a Dx of
lymphoscarcoma and gave my ferret a steriod shot.
Should I seek another opinion? Could these symptoms be signs of
somthing that can be treated ie- Gastric ulcer or intestinal blockage?"