Message Number: YG648 | New FHL Archives Search
Date: 2001-03-03 22:10:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Ferret Treats

--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., JTRADFORD@w... wrote:
> 1: Is it possible that too much chocolate killed a ferret?

My former vet read me the riot act for feeding Floyd Weasel chocolate
pudding years ago. (He would get about 1tsp, 2x daily.) This doctor
stated that chocolate contained a chemical (I don't remember which)
that caused heart problems in animals under 10#. Also, when I had
Floyd Weasel, I kept field mice (no, not for weasel food), and always
fed them chocolate as treats. These mice tended to live 2 years or
less (I have no idea what their expected life span is). Hope this
helps some!


(The guy who locks Fifi up for digging at the carpet)