Message Number: YG696 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Amy and Dave Seyler
Date: 2001-03-04 13:18:00 UTC
Subject: Question/advice on insulinoma

Hey everyone! Hope all your little ones are doing well, and for those who are sick, get better soon.

As an experienced ferret mom, I find myself in sort of a dilemma, and would like some advice (especially from the vets on the list) about my male ferret Max, who I believe has insulinoma.

About two years ago, I had a ferret with insulinoma go through surgery at the age of 7. XXXXXXX did the surgery. Eight months later he was dead -- just up and quit on us with no warning. But he was never quite the same after his surgery, personality-wise. Now I will say I'm the BIGGEST proponent of surgery instead of drugs, but I questioned myself after Sidney died.

Now I find myself with Max, who will turn 7 in May, and has been crashing periodically for the last 6 weeks or so. The last couple of weeks have been bad -- if I don't give him his duck soup regularly, he crashes. It's obvious that I can do no more, and that he'll need to go on pred, at least until he sees Dr. XXXXX at the end of the month.

Here's the dilemma -- do I put him through surgery or not? Provided Dr. XXXXX gives the green light, do I do it? And exactly how do you vets determine who is a good surgical candidate? Who is a bad surgical candidate?

I don't want to make the wrong decision -- I want Max to have quality of life, no matter what I decide. I am torn -- any thoughts?


Amy, Dave, Sarah & Paul (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian, Elektra, Claudia & Sidney