Message Number: YG7485 | New FHL Archives Search
From: Erin Simkins
Date: 2001-09-26 14:22:00 UTC
Subject: Re: Adrenal

--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., "Trina" <tridixon@h...> wrote:
> I have a 5 yr old female that is showing signs of adrenal. Her fur
is pretty scarce on her belly and chest, still has plenty on her
tail, backside and legs, and is not yet losing hair visibly (when I
scruff her etc..). I know surgery is imminent and my vet feels it is
too early at this point, so I'm saving up for it.
> My question is, is there anything I should be doing now? Any
supplements or medications, something to curb the effects. I feel
like I should be doing something. Also, how long should I wait
before the surgery? Maybe I shouldn't be waiting.

Hi Trina, I would suggest doing the surgery sooner rather than
later. I'm not sure why your vet wants to wait since she is already
5 and is showing obvious signs. IMO, I don't think there's much of a
reason to wait. I would do it sooner while she is in good health
(assumption) and still on the younger side.

If you decide to wait, just make sure she is eating well and drinking
good. You could put her on lupron shots but it would be cheaper in
the long run to just perform the surgery. I understand your
hesitation, I lost a ferret on the first surgery I'd ever done and
was definitely scared for the next. Weigh your risks, since she's 5
perhaps do blood work prior to surgery and then if she's a good
candidate, I'd say go for it. It will make her more comfortable too.

I'm not a vet but I've had my fair share of adrenal surgeries. My
oldest was almost 8, youngest had just turned 1. They all came
through sore but fine. As long as the ferret is a good surgical
candidate, I usually don't hesitate. Just some thoughts for you.
Best wishes to you both and I hope she feels better soon.

Erin Simkins