Message Number: SG5650 | New FHL Archives Search
Date: 2003-08-04 22:04:40 UTC
Subject: More questions about Allergy/EE/IBD
Message-ID: <>

First of all, I'll put the link to my original note concerning my baby Madeline:

That pretty much details what all we've done so far with her regarding her lymph node/tummy troubles.

I have two more questions, if anyone can help.

Her initial prednisone treatment was/is to go for 1 month. Gradually stepping down, weekly, to try to wean her off by the end of the 1 month. She has two weeks to go.

1) Hopefully, this is all it takes, but from what I read, it's just as likely that with the allergy/EE, she'll be on pred long term. The allergy/EE was diagnosed through a CBC in which the eosinphils(sp?) were high. If she were to have to be on pred long term, should we have a stomach biopsy to be sure first?

On the one hand, I don't want to subject her to an unnecessary surgery. On the other, I don't want to be just treating symptoms if we're not positive. She doesn't mind her pred, but, I'm worried that it might mask something in the future, making any other medical problems to be found late, or even possibly too late.

2) Maddie has gingevitis. I want to have her teeth cleaned. This will require sedation, so, should I hold off until she's had some time between her and the illness? Or, maybe we could use the opportunity to take another CBC to see if anything has changed...?

Thank you!