Message Number: SG5839 | New FHL Archives Search
Date: 2003-08-19 18:26:32 UTC
Subject: Samantha, Inulinoma etc update
Message-ID: <>

Samantha is continuing to decline...She perked up on Sunday night, then on Monday am I decided to take her to a different vet for a second opinion. Her prednilosone dose was increased to 1ml twice a day...which I had already done the night before, thanks to Dr. Murray's advice.
She had some fluids at the vet yesterday (about 20cc) Her BG yesterday was 120, but we think something was up with the results...they must have been off. She wasn't very responsive when she returned home, ate very little, refused water pretty much and was very FLAT. I did a little forced feeding. Today I brought her back as her response to the increased pred was not what we expected (we thought she would perk up)
Today she want back to the vet for blood work and a chest x-ray.
No obvious tumors on x-ray, but her heart is a bit enlarged with evidence of some fluid. Her liver also looked a bit enlarged. No tumors visible on x-ray.
Her bloodwork showed high for calicium (16) and high WBC of over 10,000. It was over 10,000 two months ago, and my other vet mentioned the possiblity of cancer, but did not pursue any futher testing.

Could anything else besides cancer be causing her WBC and Calcium to be so high?

Her BUN is near normal, and her BG was 62 (not really fasting, but she's not eating much at all either)
Phos was near normal, as were most of the other levels. The vet thinks there is some sort of tumor at play here, not just insulinoma.
So, the prognosis isn't great to say the least.
I am keeping her at the vet this afternoon, they are force feeding her, as well as giving her intensive fluids. I will pick her up at 7:30 and continue the feeding and sub q fluids throughout the night. If there is no change or she gets worse in the next 24 hours, I will consider helping her pass over. I don't want her to suffer. Her quality of life can't be all that wonderful, now that her mate is gone and the addition of feeling so sick.

I am trying to remain optimistic, but realistic at the same time. Maybe she will bounce back after some food and fluids.

All the best,

Lisa and Samantha
Kindred Hill Farm