Message Number: SG7256 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "Sue Liszewski"
Date: 2004-01-02 23:23:58 UTC
Subject: RE: [ferrethealth] Bebe - balding and skinny - Welcome your opinion
Message-ID: <>

With those signs I would have the adrenals removed anyway (see what the
panel says). You can try Lupron for a bit because at least you know it has
not invaded anything and it could still be benign. I don't believe you can
tell about the adrenals just by looking, they need to be rem'd to tell more.
I would let her recover for sure. Also did they eveal the pancreas and
stomach (for a fur ball) I have found these freq on exploratory. I usu
avoid removing the gland if I can't find it but otherwise if it is easy
enough to get to it is better to remove if there is a clinical problem. If
the gland were big then the vet should have seen that. Has the vet done
these surgeries, is he very ferret savvy?

I have seen the weight loss with fur balls and no other sign so be sure it
was checked for. My last adrenal girl had it and I took care of it when I
did the adrenal surgery.

Best of Luck to you and your little one.

Dr. Sue

>From: "Zevron" <>
>To: <>
>Subject: [ferrethealth] Bebe - balding and skinny - Welcome your opinion
>Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:41:40 -0500
> REcap: Bebe-3 1/2 yr female white black eyed; tail and behind has no
>itchy; this condition between 1-2 months.
>Eats, drinks, no loss of energy; weighs 1lb 6oz again; (1st year was thin
>1.6oz but gain weight 2nd year)
> Had surgery on Monday - vet found that her adrenal glands were a little
>smaller than normal. No other tumors.
> Blood test - normal
> Had consult with another vet on Weds - she suggested 1. bone marrow test
>for cancer or 2. place on Lupron for a few months
>I won't be having #1 done. I still think she has adrenal tumor so suggested
>the vet look into the Tennessee Adrenal Panel test (thanks to all the
>sites and list!). He is now going to check into the price of Lupron and
>out what Univ of Tennessee needs from him.
>I want the test done and if it comes back positive...
>1. Should I have him open her up again (probably a month from 1st surgery)
>and take out the left gland or
> should I wait for a few months (maybe the bad gland will grow) and let
>her recover from Monday's exploratory surgery?
>If the gland isn't big, can't I afford to wait? (Just as long as she is the
>same condition)
>2. How small can a ferret weigh and be normal ?
>She doesn't seem to be wasting or have a loss of muscle mass? I plan to
>verify this when the vet calls me back though. Meanwhile I will be
>supplementing her ferret food with baby food (turkey or chicken) in hopes
>that her weight will increase.
>Thank you
>If you want to share pictures, use the calendar, or start a vote
>To leave the group, email:

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here!