Message Number: FHL4824 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "ferretgirl27"
Date: 2008-05-01 14:58:00 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] interpreting blood results & ultrasound-high GGT, Lipase, Triglycerides

Hi all,
I recently wrote of my boy Pika who passed away after an unknown illness lasting 2 weeks.
His ultrasound and blood results were inconclusive as well. He has left behind a cagemate,
Ruby, who is estimated at 3 years old (adopted 1.5 yrs ago-stray from shelter). She
seemed perfectly healthy, although seems lonely/depressed w/o her playmate. I would
like to get her another companion, but the vet suggested I test her for ADV, first, since we
don't know what Pika passed away from. I also decided to have a full blood work up and
ultrasound done, since I am now paranoid about ferret illnesses.

We don't have the ADV test back yet, but her spleen was slightly enlarged (but may be
normal for her) but not unusual on ultrasound. She had 2 abdominal lymphnodes that
were enlarged, but nothing else appeared abnormal on ultrasound.

Several parts of her blood chemistry was out of range:
Total protein and albumin were in range, but Globulin was slightly increased at 3.1g/dL

GGT was elevated at 9 IU/L (range=0-5 IU/L)
Triglycerides were very elevated at 116 mg/dL (range=10-32 mg/dL)
Lipase was also very elevated at 713 U/L (range=0-200 U/L)

There was "slight hemolysis" in her plasma, but "no significant abnormalities" were seen in
the WBC or RBC. It was noted that the WBC were low, the hemoglobin and hemocrit were
both high.
WBC 4.1x10^3/ul
Hemoglobin 18.5 g/dL
Hemocrit 54%

The vet said this was indictitive of IBD, or an ulcer or lymphoma or some underlying
infection. She said we could start on treatment for IBD, an immunosupressive agent, or do
surgery to take a biopsy of the intestine and also remove the enlarged lymphnodes for
biopsy. These are pretty much the same differential diagnosis that were offered for Pika,
although he was very sick. Ruby is showing no signs of anything, and I am having a hard
time deciding to take action on what appears to be a healthy ferret, esp. just over one
week after losing her cagemate. I don't like the idea of treating for IBD w/o knowing that
is what's wrong, but also do not want to put my girl through surgery when she seems to be
fine. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me! Thanks, Kathryn


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: