Message Number: FHL5009 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "Tressie"
Date: 2008-05-24 18:23:59 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Re: That old question again - adrenal disease, surgery vs Lupron?


My previous post described my 2 year-old gib Cannoli, who probably
has adrenal disease, given his recent clinical symptoms and
confirmation of an enlarged prostate at the Emergency Clinic this

My vet does not as a rule do adrenal surgery, he prefers using Lupron
to manage the disease. However, given the age of my gib - only 2
years old I believe he may be an excellent candidate for surgery.
>From past posts here, there appear to be two opposing views on this
from vets - some prefer surgery others medical management. Of course
the final decision will be reached through consult with my own vet,
who I absolutely trust. I also know that he will go with my
preference and I want to make a fully informed decision.

My question is in two parts. The first is whether ultra-sound would
confirm which adrenal is affected? There is controversy in the
literature on whether it would. My vet does not feel confident doing
surgery on the right adrenal although he is a skilled surgeon.

The other question has to do with course of disease. My
understanding is that while Lupron (with/without Melatonin) manages
the disease, it does not cure it, whereas surgery can affect cure. So
the question is a hypothetical one because at this stage we don't
know which, or if both adrenals are affected. If only the left
adrenal is removed and the right one happens to be diseased - but is
left in place - is the outcome likely to be the same as it would have
been if my ferret was only given Lupron/Melatonin (no surgery)?

Thanks again!



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: