Message Number: FHL8013 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "kazpat1"
Date: 2009-02-19 02:08:34 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Ferret with Lymphoma, now hind-end weakness

I am posting this for Judy with her permission.
Perla....hind end weakness now

Brief back round:

Perla was diagnosed thru a surgical biopsy on Feb 4th with High Grade
She had her spleen removed and a tumor (which could not be surgically
removed) next to the pancreas biopsied. Both came back as High Grade
Lymphoma, the tumor was left behind.

We were waiting for her to recover to start prednisilone and oral
cytoxin treatment, however on Feb. 9th it was found that the tumor had
gotten larger and we needed to start treatment right away.

On Feb 9th she received IV Vincristine 0.05ml as a one time deal to
jump start things...and started her .01cc 10mg/ml prednisilone 2xs
daily. Three days later she started her oral cytoxin (8mg I think)
which she gets every 3wks and will get again on March 6th.

She has been doing well. Has been eating much better, and if I did
not know she was sick...I could not tell.
Until yesterday. She started to limp on her right hind leg. At first
it was a hop, and then she was actually holding it up in the air. She
is able to scratch using it....and was able to stand on her hind legs.

He vet is away till Friday. Today, it was both legs she was limping
on. I thought I could feel an inflamed lymph node on each side in the
back, but could not feel it again later.

As the night goes on, she becomes more weak in the hind area. She
will wake up to eat (hand feed), eat well, and if she tries to get up
and get going...after a bit...can walk w/a limp on both side...but,
falls over at first. She seems not to want to give it a try.

When resting...she is happy as a clam.

Has anyone ever experienced this????

Not sure if it is a side effect to the chemo, from which she is itchy
and just started to loose hair, but those have been her only side
effects...or if it could be saddle thrombosis, or a lymph node
pressing on a nerve or something.

I am very worried...and wonder if I should wait for the return of her
vet on Friday...who is familiar w/her case and knows her well.

Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas.

I am VERY worried,

Metroferret, NJ


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: