Date: 2009-04-15 04:54:33 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Clarification and an update on the stumper issue
Let me try and outline the events as they happened:
- Reznor had diarrhea and seemed lethargic
- Doctor thought he had IBD and started him on the Prednisone and Azathioprine. The in house fecal float showed nothing
- The problem persisted. Now it was diarrhea, weight loss, lethargy, some teeth grinding.
- Doctor added sucralafate and pepcid to the pred and aza. thinking maybe the previous meds caused an stomach ulcer.
- No change and runny nose/ swallowing started.
- Vet noticed ulcers in the nostrils and we did an xray. Xray showed the intestines were strictly on the right side of the body. No mass was seen, no blockages. He said that he may be that an enlarged lymph node caused the intestines to be restricted to the one side. He added Clavamox and flagyl in case of intestinal infection, heliobacter, and to help with the nose. The Pred and Aza. doses were lowered. Blood was also drawn and sent out.
- All the blood work came back normal. The CBC/Chem pan was all normal. Negative for ECE, ADV, Heliobacter, Salmonella, etc. Reznor started scratching excessively and 'marking' objects on top of the previous symptoms with no change. With no further clues and not wanting to add more irreversible or difficult to reverse medications, he started him on B vitamin complex orally (1.0 mL daily), melatonin orally(2.0 mL every 24 hours)and Prozyme sprinkled on the food daily. I'm not sure why the B vitamin complex other than I know personally B vitamins are crucial for energy. The Melatonin was in case it was Adrenal. The Prozyme was in case the diarrhea was caused by his pancreas (mal-digestion due to lack of enzymes produced by the pancreas)
- Flagyl ran it's course. At this point he was taking: Pred., Aza., Sucralfate, Pepcid, Vitamin B, melatonin and Prozyme. I also restarted added the Bach flowers to the water in case a different 'flavor' was why he wasn't drinking from his bottle.
- The diarrhea ceased and some energy was regained. Eating and drinking on his own resumed. Still no interest in the other ferrets or normal energy levels.
- Saw the doctor today, still no explanation to the cause or reason for any improvement but he said he looked good and his weight was back up. He said the belly felt softer and seemed less sensitive. We re-took blood to check levels. He got a Lupron shot and ferretonin implant. Reznor energy levels are still not normal. He explores and gets playful with me again but won't have anything to do with the other ferrets. He's a bit lethargic today, but it's been a hectic day and he got the implant, blood draw, etc., so I'm blaming it on that.
Reznor is almost 4 years old and we live in AZ in the US.
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: