Message Number: FHL8689 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "hippistyl"
Date: 2009-04-16 22:39:38 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Re: ferret with spinal problems

Thank you all for your input. I am not giving up hope yet, but I know if it's a tumor, particularly given the location, I know the prognosis is not great.

They only other issue he may have is adrenal - he has no fur loss, but quite a bit of discoloration at times, not too bad right now. He's very light colored and had a lot of the orangey color around his tail area. He did have some aggression, but I had attributed it to him being an only ferret (has been alone since June, but he adapted well to it) and he had extra energy. It wasn't until the vet asked that I realized it might be aggression from an adrenal tumor (duh I know better, already been down that road with another guy before him). He did get a Lupron shot about a month ago, but I haven't brought him in for the next one yet given all of his issues.

The vet had not discussed lymphoma specifically, just said he may have a tumor or infection. It is right at where his spine meets his rear legs that the xray showed dark but no clearly defined mass. Maybe I will ask the vet what he thinks about another xray or ultrasound so we can take another look for any changes, might be too soon from the last to see much difference. If there's a mass then I will ask for a biopsy. I don't feel anything in that area, but I'm also afraid to hurt him so I don't try too hard.

Once we know if there is a mass (and how severe and aggressive), will determine what next. I've received some great suggestions for therapy as well, but will wait to see if it's a tumor before pursuing that. If it's something that will allow him to be with us for a longer time, we will probably make him a good sized pen to be in, instead of being blocked off to just the very bottom of his cage. If we do that, I may get him some wheels to get around, just depends on how long he has. Aggressive tumor and we may just enjoy the days we have left. Maybe we need to up the pred - he's only on about .3 cc's right now, twice a day, plus the antibiotics.

Other experiences are welcome. I will update once we talk to or visit the vet. Thank you again!



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: