Message Number: FHL12348 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "Jeff"
Date: 2010-10-15 14:44:10 UTC
Subject: Re: [ferrethealth] Morphy's Mouth
To: <>

I have received several emails personally offering ideas and suggestions and I am appreciative. I had to hospitalize Morphy yesterday morning, as he was not responding to the home treatments.

As briefly as possible, his bloodwork showed extreme liver disease that may or may not be curable. He's now on an IV drip that includes dextrose, electrolytes, vitamins, and thru which he's also getting pain meds, liver support meds, and two antibiotics. He's getting oral carafate for his ulcerated throat in hopes that he might be able to eat some soup if the ulceration stops hurting him so much. I was with him for a fairly long time early this morning and he ate a little soup, and wanted to eat, but it was clear that he's in too much discomfort.

One question: Is it likely that the ulcerated throat is related to his liver disease, or more likely unrelated?

We don't have a definitive diagnosis, but the liver disease/failure could be lymphoma, carcinoma, or a blocked bile duct or other infection. I am having bloodwork done again at noon today to compare to two days ago. If there is no improvement at all then I may have to help him to the bridge tonight, which is killing me, because he's only 4-1/2 years old, and just a week ago was his usual spastic, bouncy, full-of-life self. He is not in condition to have exploratory surgery done, but I might have an ultrasound done to see if it can tell us anything that might inspire hope that he can get better.

Any other ideas on what may be causing this are appreciated. My primary vet says that if he isn't showing positive response to all of the current treatment within 72 hours, then he probably won't at all, but that it does take more than a day for the liver to really start to right itself again. Right now it's been 24 hours since heavy duty treatment began. I don't want to jump the gun on letting him go, but also don't want to ask him to hold on if there isn't any realistic hope. I know most of us have been in this position all too many times. I am just trying to consider any and all possibilities of the cause of his liver failure/disease, weigh them with as much non-invasive testing as possible, and make the right choice for Morphy.

Any further private or public FHL suggestions are appreciated.

In Memory of Neo, Trinity, Possum, Pip, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Morphy, Baby Girl, Dozer, Pop, Sabrina, and Minnie Mouse

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: