Message Number: FHL12701 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "weaseluva"
Date: 2011-01-05 14:39:44 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Re: In fewer than 10 days I have now heard of 3 cases of poisoning

I used the clear gel from a Aloe plant I have at home on my little sick adrenal girl. Someone who meant well, told me to use it on her butt and private area, so I did. After emailing the FHL, Sukie immediately wrote back and said to contact my vet. I did and she wanted to know if Cinni was actually throwing up, which she was, she had started throwing up after eating. I felt that I poisoned my little girl even though she did NOT ingest the gel. She was too sore to lick back there. My vet checked into it and called me back and said NO. Cinni had stopped eating a day or so before I used the aloe and her breath was horrific, so I tried syringe feeding which made her sicker. She had a blood panel done which came back the next day (online) and it showed she had kidney failure. Cinni had been battling adrenal disease for almost 3 years and nothing worked anymore, including a Des implant about 6 months ago. She had started losing weight about 2 or 3 months ago, so I suspect
cancer as did my vet. When I had her put to sleep, New Years morning, the suggestion of my vet after a good discussion, I felt maybe the aloe or A&D ointment had something to do with her getting even sicker. My vet said NO she went online and looked into everything and it was nothing I did but still I felt it could be. I listened to someone who WAS NOT A VET, but whose intentions were good. I deleted a bunch of messages so I do not know who sent it to me, but whoever is using Aloe, I suggest not using it to be on the safe side! Speak with your vet before continuing to use it. PLEASE do not use "NATURAL REMEDIES" or OVER THE COUNTER DRUGS ON ANY OF YOUR PETS, UNLESS YOU GET PERMISSION TO USE IT BY YOUR VET FIRST! YOUR GOOD INTENTIONS COULD CAUSE YOU YOUR PETS LIFE!

Eleanor, missing Cinnimini very much

[Excellent advice, Eleanor!

Yes, it was a relief that your little one did
not have poisoning, though very, very sad
she passed, anyway. It is wonderful that
you are making sure that people discover
how to learn about types of poisoning and
avoid them. Thank you for doing that!

It would also be good if anyone running a
vet hospital or a shelter provides people
with handouts on avoiding poisoning.
Meryl found a site which links to a pdf
of just such a handout:
and there may be ones at

BTW, here are the top 10 drugs that poison pets:
which relates to one of the recent situations.

Off the soapbox now...

-- Moderator]


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: