Message Number: FHL12729 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "pigleeownee"
Date: 2011-01-08 18:57:38 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Emmy still not well-vet stumped-any vet help appreciated

Adrenal surgery last Thursday at 12pm. Lefty removed and it was an andenoma.

Pancreas looked good.

Was eating after surgery - brought her home.

6 hours later vomiting that wouldn't stop.
Even smelling food caused her to vomit.

Went to emergecy vets that night/am and her temp dropped to 96.4.

Dextrose on gums, shot of reglan and sub q fluids given.
Hospitalized all day yesterday with fluids and dextrose.

She still is very nauseous. She is keeping down 1-2 ml of watery a/d every 2 hours or so but with lip smacking after. I know this is not enough but if I give to much at once time she will vomit.

reglan every 12 hours
carafate every 12 hours
buprenex every 12 hours
Nutrical every couple of hours.

I stopped the amoxi last night to see if that was causing the nausea and she still was nauseous this morning so I will resume the amoxi again this afternoon.

The vet feels it was a reaction to the anesthetic isoflurane, though rare. She really isn't sure though, and doesn't know what else to do for Emmy but supportive care and wait for our regular vet to be back in town Monday.

I know Emmy's blood sugar being low from the lack of eating would cause nausea but wouldn't the dextrose drip have regulated that yesterday causing the nausea to subside? I ask this because I am trying to figure out if something else is causing this.

Her temp is good, vitals good. Vet checked tempt this a.m. and it was good.

I kept her hydrated overnight by the small syringes of a/d water soup. Emmy is also drinking water out of her bowl herself. The vet felt she was still hydrated well this a.m.

Emmy doesn't have a vein left for another cathedar for more dextrose drips and fluids. The ones on both legs and arms are not usable anymore.

I know Emmy has slowly improved since yesterday-she is more alert, stronger, holding more syringed fluids down & fighting me harder when giving meds etc. but I am at a loss for what is the original cause of this all or what could still be causing it?

Should I stop the buprenex and see if that is the culprit??

Sorry so long but it would help if others had this experience and I could find some relief knowing she could be relieved of this nausea soon.

She was playing and dooking before surgery. She just had a bald tail, and no undercoat, slightly swollen vulva. I felt I was doing the right thing by having her surgery while she was so healthy rather than waiting and now I am worried I may have caused her demise.


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: