Message Number: FHL12923 | New FHL Archives Search
From: "thenasmommy"
Date: 2011-02-27 01:20:05 UTC
Subject: [ferrethealth] Can I Combine These Meds?

Hi, all. I haven't been on here in a while--messages were bouncing and never could figure out the problem; hopefully it is now resolved.

I took my 4.5-yr-old female, Athena, to the vet this morning. She regurgitated last evening, and I decided I wasn't going to attempt any treatment without my vet's assessment of her symptoms (maybe it's over-reacting on my part, but I won't take chances when regurgitation becomes a symptom). I'll say a little more about what is/has been going on with Athena further below (for any who are interested in reading/responding to the entirety of her situation).

I have a question, however, regarding combining meds. In addition to prescribing a couple antibiotics, my vet started her on Cimetidine HCL 300mg @ 0.1ml 2X/day and also Pepto Bismol (liquid) @ 0.5ml 2X/day. Athena DESPISES the Cimetidine and spits out nearly the entire dose. She doesn't care much for Pepto, either, but she takes it. I'm wondering if since both meds are going to the same location (one immediately following the other) it wouldn't be a problem to combine them??? Vet's office is closed the rest of the day and won't open again until Monday, at which time Athena will be checked again for follow-up. So, I can't call the office to verify that it's okay to combine these meds. Does anyone know of any reason in particular that the combo might not be a wise idea? Thanks, in advance, for whatever insight you can offer.

In regards to the entire medical problem, Athena's regurgitating actually helped to clear my confusion over a couple of odd "messes" that I'd found in the ferrets' play area during the past several days. I'd thought that perhaps one of my other ferts was "missing the bucket" with his poo, as he does have a tendency to grow tired of potty places now and again. Although, I did think it was rather strange-looking poo (I think now that it was actually vomit from Athena). I already had scheduled all three of my little ones for their annual vet checks on this coming Monday.

I was particularly interested in getting Athena checked because I have noticed over the last several months that she's lost a few ounces (she's not become terribly thin, but she's definitely lost weight and has not put any of it back on). In addition, she didn't get much coat this season. Her coat isn't thin or sparse (like you might expect to see in an adrenal); it just isn't "wintry" as it's been previous years.

I've also sensed that Athena is sleeping more than usual. Until recently, she's often been the last of the three to turn in for a nap after romping. Now I see her resting more during play-times and quitting early. If I coax her, she'll return to play, but as soon as I turn my attention elsewhere, she starts heading back to bed.

The symptom that's had me most concerned as of late, though, is her bruxing when she eats. She's on a very good diet (I don't feed raw or home cooked, but I do feed 50% protein, 20+% fat, and only 2.5%-or-less fiber) and has had this diet for over 4 years without any problems. She has *some* treats, but never bruxes when she eats the treats. However, I've started to suspect that she's becoming uncomfortable while eating and has perhaps cut back some on her food intake, which could explain her weight loss maybe?

Anyways, the regurgitating prompted me to bring her to the vet today instead of waiting for the check-ups on Monday. Athena was painful when the vet palpated at the top of her tummy. In addition, an x-ray indicates she may have a mass in her tummy as well. My vet suspects the mass is a hairball (grrr...I feed lax EVERY day, as the ferts own two collies in addition to me). Her tentative diagnosis is a hair ball and possibly an ulcer, which could have led to the development of the supposed hairball or could be a direct result of the hairball.

After discussing the possibility of taking a contrast scan and doing a blood draw vs. treating for both, I have opted to treat over this weekend and bring her back in on Monday with the other two during the originally scheduled appointments. I just hope I've made the right decision.

In addition to treating Athena's tummy with the two above-mentioned meds, she's started antibiotic treatment with both Amoxicilin and Metronidazole. I've separated her from Zoe and Heracles (Heri) so I can keep better track of her food and water intake as well as everything that comes out (from either end, but I hope from only the right end). I picked up some Gerber chicken and I'm thinking she might benefit from having as much soft food as I can get her to take, as it might be easier on her tummy. Any thoughts on that? I'm also prepared to syringe water if she starts refusing or losing fluids, but I've also wondered whether I should just force as much water on her as is possible????

[See past posts on syringe feeding and syringe fluids because FHL vets
have asked that people be reminded that done wrong this approach
can lead to aspiration pneumonia so non-forced feeding is better
when possible. You might want the treating vet to use subcutaneous
fluids for her. An emergency vet could also do that.

-- Moderator]

I'm pretty worried about this kid. She's my first, and I've been as thoughtful as I can be about caring for her because I just don't ever want to lose her. She's seen me through some pretty tough times during the past 4.5 yrs. [Section removed per FHL Rules] But Athena is powerfully loved and adored, and so I am grateful for any amount of advice I can get.

Thanks for reading on--if you got this far--and for your time. I look forward to your replies.



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: